Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Corcavado, Jardim Botanico, and Sunset at Arpoador Rock...the PERFECT DAY!


So, I decided to make my last full day in Rio, one jam-packed with events! I awoke early in the morning to take a taxi out to Corcavado, the famed mountain atop which the Christ the Redeemer statue rests. All of the guide books that I read HIGHLY recommended to go early, so as to avoid the crowds. To reach the top of Corcavado most people will take a 20-min (or so) train ride (However, there are some who choose to drive up or even hike up!). Fortunately, I arrived at the train station JUST before the big rush of tours. The train ride up afforded spectacular views of the city. Also, I came up close and personal with one of Rio's natural fruits, jackfruit (I didn't taste it though). Unfortunately, I must admit that reaching the top and seeing the Christ the Redeemer statue was a bit anti-climactic; I don't know why. Anyhow, I'm glad I made the trip.

Panoramic View from atop Corcavado




At the end of the train ride, one has the option to either take the stairs, ride an elevator, or take an escalator to the top. I opted to take the stairs, and this is the first view of the Christ the Redeemer statue that I had.




OK! I had to do it!









Jackfruit!



 My next stop was the Jardim Botanico. Unfortunately, I must admit that I could have avoided this trip, all together. I was expecting to see beautiful, brilliant flowers and trees, and that was not the case. In its defense, the sight is undergoing MUCH NEEDED improvements, so possibly once all of the construction and improvements are completed it will be better. At any rate, I was able to capture a few interesting pics.







Jackfruit!


This is an herb garden located on the site.




Corcavado and Christ the Redeemer Statue in the distance.











Corcavado




The last event of the day was BY FAR the best! I HIGHLY recommend that ANYONE visiting Rio de Janeiro reserve one afternoon/evening to experience sunset from Arpoador Rock...one of THE MOST spectacular things I have ever experienced!

















No comments:

Post a Comment